Life Blood---XXIV---Page No 86



residency status, my pilot's license . . . Let's just say it was an offer I didn't see fit to take issue with."
"Oh, my God." I felt like a knife had just plunged into my back. "Was his name Barry Morton? Please tell me."
        "Taking the Fifth on that one," he said coughing again. "But
you've got primal instincts."
I heard a noise outside and sank lower in the chair. What was I going to do now?
"Listen, do you have any idea where Steve is? They're looking—"
"No shit, Madame Sherlock. I had a long, deeply uninspiring
interrogation by a couple of upscale assholes who showed up
here in an Army Jeep. They wanted to know where the fuck he
was, when I'd supped with him last. Let me inform you, love, you
got my old heartstrings buddy in some decided doo-doo."
"I feel guilty enough about that as is, so stop." In spite of all Alex Goddard had done, I felt horrible about Steve, like a selfinvolved witch. "But do you know where he is now?"
"Haven't the foggiest fucking idea, never heard of the jerk.
Shit, hang on." The line went silent, and I could feel my pulse
pounding.
Outside the office door, I heard footsteps approaching down the hall. Please, God, please. But then they passed by,
terminating where the two soldiers had been dozing. Next I heard the tones of a solid dressing-down in profane Spanish.
        "Tu heres un pedaso de mierda!"
Then came a familiar voice from the receiver. I couldn't believe it.
"Morgy, why in hell did you let Alan take you up there by
yourself?" His tone had a sadness, and a deserved pique, that cut me to the core.
I think I stopped breathing.
"Oh, baby, thank God you're . . ." I was expecting the door to burst open any moment. Men with AK-47's. "Do you know the Army's looking for—?"
"You're completely nuts. I got halfway to Belize and called the
motel to see how you were doing, and they told me you'd taken off
with this asshole. So I turned around and drove back here. It was
after midnight and the Army thugs had just left. Morgy, I'm coming
to get you. Soon as the gas stations open. I know a back road to
Mexico. We've got to get out of this fucking country immediately."





"Don't try to drive up. It's too dangerous. Can you get Alan to fly you? Sarah's here and she's been turned into a space cadet. I don't know how I'm going to pry her away." I stopped to try to
assemble my thoughts. "He's got soldiers watching me. I've got to smuggle her out somehow."
I couldn't bring myself to tell him what was really going on.
"Let me talk to Dupre a second. The fucker. I can't believe he
did this to you. But maybe we can come up with something.
Otherwise, I may just kill him with my bare hands."
        I heard a cough, which told me Alan had been listening in on
an extension. It teed me off, but then—he did have to be in on this.
Shit. The idea of relying on Alan Dupre for anything . . .
        "Well, do it fast. I broke into Alex Goddard's office to use this
phone and . . . just hurry."
"You got it."
Now the sound of firm, officer-like boot steps stormed past the door, headed out this time, after which the two young soldiers
began berating each other in high-pitched Spanish.
        "Hace falta tener cojones!"
"Hijo de tu chingada madre!"
More and more light was creeping through the slatted
windows. A glance at my watch showed the time to be six sharp, but the embassy was no longer an option.
"Listen," Steve said coming back on, "there's some rain due
for tonight, but he says he thinks we can try. He claims there's a
clearing about a quarter of a mile down a gravel road that goes
south. With the rain as cover, maybe we can put down just after
dark. Think you can find a way to get Sarah and meet us?"
"I'm not even sure she can walk, at least not far, but we'll be
there." I was flashing on her back in the square, proclaiming her
happiness. Would I have to drag her out, carry her on my back?
Well, I would. "There's some kind of 'ceremony' on for tomorrow
morning. The Army's going to be here in double strength because
of it, but maybe it'll make for some confusion that'll help. Still,
she's—"
"Damn, this is going to be big-time dicey."
"Honey, let me tell you as much as I can about the layout of this place. Just in case."
Which I did. The main problem was, I didn't know exactly where Sarah was.
"Is there anybody there who could help you?" he asked when I'd finished.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[RG] Horror movies

107.John Wayne GACY Jr.

30. SERIAL KILLERS AND ASTROLOGY