Victims of Circumstance Both the hard-boiled investigator and the career criminal have the kind of masculine competence that enables them to achieve some degree of mastery in a hostile world, however temporary and limited it might be. Even Harry Fabian, though he is in most respects a failure, can, like Rico or Scarface, be compared to counterparts in the world of business, gifted with energy, perseverance and enough nous to enable him, in his small way, to thrive: ‘He was not quite an ordinary person: he had highly developed intuitions, proceeding from long cumulative experience of the customs of the City’ (21). He knows what he is doing, and is single- minded in the pursuit of his own interests. Like most other criminal protagonists, he will end as a victim, but he will at least have put up a plausible fight before becoming a casualty in the conflict. In many noir thrillers of the period, however, the protagonist is a victim throughout, one of t...
வீணா பிறந்தது 1946- ல். 1956- லிருந்து 1960 வரை அவள் பெற்றோர் டில்லியில் இருந்தபோது சாப்பிட்ட கோதுமையினாலும் , அவள் அம்மாவிடமிருந்து பெற்ற நேர்த்தியான மூக்கினாலும் , மிக ஒழுங்கான அதரங்களாலும் , உயரத்தினாலும் , எல்லா அளவுகளும் ஓர் அரை இன்ச் குறைந்து சட்டையை மீறும் உடம்பு வளப்பத்தினாலும் அவள் எதிரே செல்பவரைப் பிரமிக்கவைக்கும் அழகு பெற்றிருந்தாள். எப்படிப்பட்ட பிரமிப்பு ? பெட்ரூமில் புலியைப் பார்க்கும் பிரமிப்பு. ஆதாரமான சில உணர்ச்சிகளை வயிற்றில் ஏற்படுத்தும் பிரமிப்பு! அன்று மாலை , வீணா தன் ஆபீசிலிருந்து திரும்பியதும் கையிலி ருந்த புத்தகத்தையும் பையையும் தூக்கியெறிந்துவிட்டு , ” அம்மா! அம்மா! அப்பா எங்கே ?” என்றாள். ” இதோ எதிரிலேயே இருக்கி றேன் ” என்றார் மதுசூதன். ” ஸாரிப்பா..! நான் கவனிக்க வில்லை. ஸோ டயர்ட்! இந்தக் கடுதாசியைப் படியுங்கள் , அப்பா! ” ” என்ன கடுதாசி ?” ” காதல் கடுதாசி. ” ” என்ன ?” ” ஆமாம். ஆபீஸ் விலாசத்துக்கு வந்தது. படியுங்கள். உரக்கப் படியுங்கள். ” ” யார் எழுதியது.. ?” ” சொல்கிறேன். படியுங்களேன் … சிரிப்பாய் இருக்கும்! ” ” என் ...
And what in hell was I doing in an operating room? I hadn't agreed to any procedures. Did he come back for a second—? Or . . . that was what he'd done. He'd injected me with an IV drug. The bizarre vision I'd had was his cover for some perverse invasion of my body. My God, I'd been unconscious since yesterday afternoon. During all that time, what could he have done to me? I was fist-clenching furious. Looking around the "operating room," I wanted to rip the place apart. When I tried to stand, I realized my groin was tender and sore as hell, all across my panty-line, only somewhere deep, deep inside, in my reproductive . . . It was like after he'd given me those shots up at Quetzal Manor. I checked and saw no red needle- punctures this time, but the pain was much worse. That sick butterfly-jaguar dream was no dream. I'd been raped by . . . The bastard. I pushed aside the pain, edged across to the door, and tested i...
Comments
Post a Comment